Saturday, November 10, 2012

of trying new things {aka sap fest}

My team. 

At the beginning of 2012, my new year's resolution was to not let any opportunity pass me by, and to experience as many new things as possible. 

That was before a couple of friends of mine asked me if I'd be interested in playing on the girl's high school soccer team. 

You see, it wasn't that I didn't want to play; I was just kind of stressed out just by the mere thought returning to it. I had played all through elementary, and most of middle school. That, however, is nothing compared to playing at a high school level. Basically, I was intimidated. A lot.

But, I decided to do it. I didn't want to pass it up, and then regret it later. Cleats were purchased, and jerseys ordered.

It was hard work. I'm a pretty physically fit person, but taking a year off of dance/pretty much any excercise really took its toll. Plus, I started the season off with a really bad infection in my lungs, (they were filled with fluid,) which made it painful to breath.

I was beyond discouraged. I threw up at a game, I was so sick. I even cried once or twice, and if you know me, I never cry.


I stuck with it though. I ran and practiced at home. I eventually got over the lung thing. And by the end of the season, I was in love with my team -- as well as the sport.




I'm so glad that I tried it. My team was so incredibly encouraging, and helpful. One of them said that playing with these girls was "like gaining 12 new best friends." I love each and every one of them; and I feel like we all really pulled together and got to know each other -- especially in the last month or so. 

But the most important thing I learned from the entire season was this: sticking to your commitments, working hard, and trying your best will always pay off in some way. And passing up a new experience is {almost} never cool. 

Off to go visit with my soul mate {the treadmill :P}, 

~ Abby





1 comment:

Jana said...

I love this <3

*tearing up because I miss my team so freakin much.*